Wrexham History
Chester History
  • 1864
    Wrexham Waterworks Company was formed in 1864 with a capital of £15000 to supply water to the town from Pentrebychan brook. The works consisted of a dam, pipeline and basic filtering works at Packsaddle.
  • 1895
    In 1882 the company was renamed The Wrexham & East Denbighshire Water Company. This picture commemorates the laying of the foundation stone of the company's new offices at 21 Egerton Street, Wrexham - look closely and you'll notice standing in the back row a proud company engineer, Mr Storr (fourth person from left wearing top hat).
  • 1900
    Talwrn borehole was sunk to supplement supplies to Wrexham.
  • 1920
    Legacy filter house was constructed to treat increased demand from Ty Mawr and Cae Llwyd reservoirs.
  • 1921
    During a severe drought in 1921 water was abstracted from old lead mines in Minera and piped to Legacy - we hasten to add that the colleague in this picture was not around to project manage this exercise in 1921, rather, the image illustrates recent investigations into the aforementioned old lead works!
  • 1992
    New offices were built at Packsaddle and the head office was transferred from Egerton Street.
  • 1997
    Dee Valley Water Plc. is born! Wrexham and Chester water companies amalgamated to form Dee Valley Water Plc.
  • 1997
    Dee Valley Water Plc. is born! Chester and Wrexham water companies amalgamated to form Dee Valley Water Plc.
  • 2014
    A major rebuild of Llwyn Onn Treatment Works was undertaken to replace the old structure which had been in service since the 1840s. It was officially opened on March 20th, 2014 by Alun Davies A.M. Welsh Minister for Natural Resources and Food. It coincided with the 150th anniversary of Wrexham Water.
  • 2016
    The evolution continues. In April 2016 Dee Valley reveal a new brand and introduce a modern and multi functional company website, affording the customer online access to their bill account.